Tuesday 11 February 2020

Work placement at Moulton College Equestrian Centre - Larissa Tilley



I started my work placement at Moulton College Equestrian Centre in January this year as part of my undergraduate degree in veterinary physio therapy at Harper Adams University. I am currently in my third year and have really enjoyed my time at university learning a combination of both the theory and practical aspects of veterinary physiotherapy.

As part of my four year degree I am required to undertake a 44 week work placement with both horses and dogs to give me the opportunity to develop new skills working within the industry alongside my academic study. Having already completed my canine placement, I am now at Moulton College Equestrian Centre for 22 weeks of equine experience primarily working in the equine therapy centre.

My first few weeks here has been great and I have already seen so much. I have been able to shadow in the equine therapy centre and have observed lots of different horses on the aqua- treadmill from a miniature Shetland pony to showjumpers and eventers. I have learnt about the different modes of hydrotherapy, how to prepare a horse for exercise on the aqua-treadmill and learnt about all the maintenance required to keep the therapy centre up and running.

I have helped with the care of the therapy inpatients, learning about the daily routine and helping with general yard duties. I have also met the resident college horses and am looking forward to learning more about the college yard.

I am excited for the rest of my time here. I am looking forward to seeing the pool and spa in use and meeting new horses and clients along with getting more hands on experience to help me to develop new skills to help me with my degree. 



No comments:

Post a Comment